July 29, 2011

End of Year Gifts

Here are a couple projects I finished the school year with.  The first is an apron to put small treats in.  The school asked me to make it for prizes given out at the Spring Fair.

 

My last-minute teacher's gifts were fabric banners the teachers could use to decorate their classrooms.


The vibrant colors don't show here but they were fun and colorful with frogs, stars, butterflies, ladybugs, and all sorts of different patterns for future first graders to look at.


The teachers loved their gifts.  They were so appreciative which of course made it super fun to give.  That's what it's all about right?  The reaction?  Oh so worth all the hours of work.

I have to say I thought these would be a quicker sew.  I made 4 banners and each triangle had to be ironed and sewn on two sides after I cut them all out.  Then I sewed them onto bias tape to hold in and hide the third side on the top.

The quilt in the picture is a patchwork top I bought at a thrift store, sandwiched in some batting and put a backing made from an old chair slipcover which was just like muslin.  I quilted it up and sewed on a red border.  It's the perfect size to throw outside on the grass for a quick play session or to take to the soccer field to contain the kids somewhat.

I took my machine in to be cleaned and serviced.  It's about time since I've never done so in the 5 years I've owned it.  There has been more knitting going on here lately, since it can easily be taken on the go, to the pool and library.  What projects have you been working on?  Anything inspiring out there?  It only took me 3+ years to make the fabric banners I had seen out in blogland.

2 comments:

  1. I love love love to quilt. I cleaned out my room the other day and counted the unfinished projects ( well into the double digits) I think I need a 12 step program for quilt-a-holics. Love your blog!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! I recently finished 9 kid sized aprons for Reagan's birthday party. Other than that it has been a long time since I've had a project to work on. Maybe you can teach me to knit when you come to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment - please!