March 3, 2011

Applique - Birthday Tote

I finally figured out how to applique and have it look good!  I have tried this before on a t-shirt for Landon and it didn't work out so well.  I used knit before and it stretched in all directions.

Well I obviously needed some directions, a recipe to follow.  I need a formula to follow and to know that it will turn out.

This tote was inspired by this little book that I bought for a friend of Etame's.  It was his 3rd birthday and I felt this little owl and tote bag combo was perfect for him.  I followed the applique instructions from this book, Scandinavian Stitches.  It's a great book full of projects.  I like the design aesthetic of simple designs outlined in black thread.

I tried it out making this tote and I love the result.  It took longer than I expected, but isn't that the truth with most projects?  I used paper-backed fusible webbing.  I think it's called "wonder under" or used to be called that.  I ordered it from Sew Mama Sew.  I probably could have found it at JoAnns but I don't love going in that mega-store.  I prefer to shop and support the little places where they package your goods nicely and send a pretty note with it.  Plus, even though you have to pay shipping, overall it is less (at least for me) when you aren't tempted by everything else in the store.


So I hope this special little boy likes his special little tote to hold his book and other treasures.  Handmade is so fun to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment - please!